Sunday, June 14, 2009

Stephen Pimble who 'died' in 1799 - real or invented?

Since my 21 March blog which mentioned the Stephen Pimble whose memorial stone appears on the walls of the church featured in the Moby Dick film I have heard from Derek Pimble.

In his email Derek says:

On your excellent web-site, there was mention of the film 'Moby Dick'. I visited the Whalers' Chapel at New Bedford, Connecticut some years ago. As the film showed, there is a pulpit in the shape of the prow of a ship, and memorial tablets round the wall, but no sign of Stephen.

What we see in the film is a film set at Elstree (Studios in London). How they came to use the Pimble name, I was never able to find out in spite of exhaustive enquiries both here and elsewhere in the USA. I have two photos of the interior of the Chapel, but they don't really tell us anything. I could send you copies if you think it worthwhile.


Many thanks to Derek for this additional information, it was Derek who first told me about the film. I bought the video but who has a video player these days? must get it transferred to a DVD.

Derek kindly sent me the photos and one of a gravestone that resolves an issue I had with a stray marriage of Hannah Pimble to John Williams.

THANKS again Derek!

No comments: